Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kerala Special - Aviyal (mixed vitamin sambhar) ;)



Aviyal2

Aviyal is one of the best recipes from Kelara. It tastes awesome and is absolutely a healthy mixture of vegetables in a nice coconut and curd gravy.

Wikipedia says it was Bhima(one of the Pandava brothers) who invented this dish. ;)

Whatever be the mythology, according to me, mom invented everything. ha ha ha. She made it and I enjoyed. Now its my turn to try out this delicacy. :) and here you go....


Aviyal4


Type 1:

Ingredients:

Pumpkin White - 2 cups diced
Potatoes - 3
Green Beans - few
Carrots - 2 
Drumstick - 1
Colocasia(seppankilangu) - 1/2 cup diced
Plaintain Bananna - 1
Egg plant - 2
Curry leaves - few
Salt - for taste
Fresh Curds - 3 Cups
Coconut Oil - 2 tbl sp 
Rice flour - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch

(Add vegetables of your choice)
 
For Grinding :
 
Fresh Coconut - 1 1/2 Cup
Green Chilies - 7 Nos
Poppy seeds - 1 tbl sp

Method:

Dice all the vegetables into 2 inch pieces and cook them and keep it aside. Grind coconut, green chillies and poppy seeds into a smooth paste.

Now in a large vessel put in the cooked vegetables, ground paste and curd. Add salt, coconut oil and curry leaves, turmeric powder and rice flour to it and mix well. You can add little water to it, if it is too thick.Let this cook in low flame for 10 mins.

Aviyal is done :)

Aviyal

Type 2:

Ingredients:


Pumpkin White - 1 cups diced
Potatoes - 1
Green Beans - few
Carrots - 2 
Drumstick - 1
Colocasia(seppankilangu) - 1/4 cup diced
Plaintain Bananna - 1/2
Egg plant - 2
Yellow pumpkin - 1 cup diced
Yam - 1/4 cup diced
Snake guard - 1/4 cup diced
Cucumber - 1/2 cup diced
Curry leaves - few
Salt - for taste
Fresh Curds - 3 Cups
Coconut Oil - 2 tbl sp 
Rice flour - 1 tsp

(Add vegetables of your choice)
 
For Grinding :
 
Fresh Coconut - 1 1/2 Cup
Green Chilies - 7 Nos
Large onions - 4
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Curry leaves - few strands

Method:

Dice all the vegetables into 2 inch pieces and cook them and keep it aside. Grind coconut, green chillies, turmeric powder, onions, cumin and curry leaves into a smooth paste.

Now in a large vessel put in the cooked vegetables, ground paste and curd. Add salt, coconut oil and rice flour to it and mix well. You can add little water to it, if it is too thick. Let this cook in low flame for 10 mins.

Avial is ready to eat. Serve it with adai or rice. :)

Find Adai recipe here.

Tip: When the aviyal is boiling, place a washed plantain leaf on top. Remove it before serving. This will give it a very interesting and ethnic aroma for the aviyal. Add all the vegetables that you like. Make it as interesting as possible, its all your choice :)

Aviyal3

Written by: Nithya
post your queries to fourthsensesamayal@gmail.com

63 comments:

Rekha shoban said...

wow!!wonderful presentation...yummy and healthy aviyal!

Unknown said...

Mixed vitamin sambar - Nice tamil name for aviyal :) Should from u the persentation skills, Lovely!!

Rohini said...

Hey Same Pinch... Even I made Aviyal yesterday!! And mine was type I ;)
And your tip about placing a banana leaf, is a great one.. Even my grandmom always suggests that! I'll post mine soon :)
Btw, Pics are excellent dear!

chef and her kitchen said...

Hmm u made us to feel kerala atmosphere in d presentation dear..looks nice...I love aviyal too....looks good on that pattu panche(if I am correct)

Sowmya said...

Awesome presentation and wonderful clicks...and nice recipe too...I'm an 'Adai - avial' addict:)..thanks for the recipe.

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Great combo with adai. Well clicked and presented

Ally said...

beautiful click! beautifully presented!

Tina said...

Nice one dear....Beautiful click too...

Smita Srivastava said...

The Aviyal looks yummy , lovely pic also !!!

kitchen queen said...

nice and delicious aviyal my favourite.

Chitra said...

Very nice and good name too ;)I too will post my mom's verion soon :)

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

nice and healthy recipe and the tip u shared is absolutely new to me.
love the presentation in pattu vastram.

Raks said...

Aviyal is my favorite too,but donno why I make it rarely...though i love to have it regularly :)

Rachana said...

Wow!!! the sambhar looks yummy and a beautiful presentation:)

FH said...

Gorgeous pics, how beautiful is those Elephants, very colorful.Avial is fave Kerala dish.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Hmm...yummy yum yum Priya with execllent click:)

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Nice version,adding poppy seeds is very new to me.Asusual nice click

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice recipe dear..delicious

Vrinda said...

Presentation is superb....lov aviyal,slightly diff from wat v make,v dont add poppy seeds,will try ur version for a change

Ambika said...

Hey Nithya, I love Avial! Your version looks yummy, its been so long since I made this at home, have to make it now :)

Sushma Mallya said...

its one of my favourite too...looks so delicious....

Saraswathi Iyer said...

Nice and lovely presentation. Adding rice flour is new. Yesterday I made simple aviyal.

Deepti said...

Nice recipe n lovely pics.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Nice click nithi , I never add poppy seeds in the type I. I love Aviyal, I can eat bowl full of aviyal without rice itself. Looks tempting...

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Closing with plaintain leaf, even my mom does the same... Yah as you said it gives nice aroma to the dish.

Parita said...

I love Aviya, infact i love anything with coconut :-)
As usual lovely presentation, btw did u take ur pics in the evening? they have an orangish color to it.

suvaiyaana suvai said...

wow wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! what great pictures!!!!!

Anu said...

Yummy and healthy aviyal... Nice presentation..

Unknown said...

Looks delicious, poppy seed is indeed a new addition. New tried before.

Panchpakwan said...

wow healthy recipe...presentation looks very nice.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Cute presentation Nithya...interesting to know about the invention of aviyal :)

Kalai said...

Wow..wonderful Nithya!

Soma Pradhan said...

Avial looks Awesome.. Nice presentation

Perspectivemedley said...

wow.. perfect kerala style pictures for the perfect recipe!.. very nice :)

PJ said...

loved your caption Aviyal=mixed vitamin sambhar :) This looks so yummy and delicious! Great clicks too, as always!

Renuka Bedre - Rao said...

such a lovely pics! loved it..this recipe is new to me..sounds delicious n healthy!

Renuka
http://cookingyummy.blogspot.com/

Anupama said...

Very beautiful presentation. The aviyal is so creamy

Aps Kitchen said...

The pic was so tempting.... YUm

Dolly Sharma said...

Nithya, your Aviyal looks amazing. What a apt presentation with the magnificient elephants. I have those elephants too..I got it from Kerala. YOu have beautifully captured the essence of kerala.In fact this was on my list of things to make soon..only if I could get all these vegetables. My MIL makes it so well and she had taught me..Superb Clicks.

Deepthi Shankar said...

aviyal looks yumm

Siddhi Shirsat said...

wow this aviyal luks yummy nithya...nice clicks

Shri said...

I love Aviyal so much!I used to depend on restaurants but nothing like a home made one..And those elephants look cute..Stunning prstn!

Ash said...

WOW!!!! Nitya.... that is a superbly made prep... Presentation & presentation...is awesome as always...... But I must admit that prep is so divinely...... I am left with imaginations.... relishing a spoonful of it with my favourite piping hot white rice.... Oh!!! What an experience!!!!!

Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Uma said...

looks sooo delicious :)

vidhas said...

I love avial.Tempting pciture, awesome click.

Mangala Bhat said...

Nicely presented dear!aviyal looks too good.wow! love those elephants ..i want that.very badly!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Hey Nithya, the presentation is simply awesome!!! I love avial... Its so tempting to see the pic... Mouthwatering!!!

Abhilash Pillai said...

poppy seeds is a added element to this than my aviyal. We prepare it in a different way and our's is thick.

The presentation is super ma!!!

Some questions...

1. From where did you get the settu saari? It is a kerala's saari.
2. The elephants?

Anyway, Kalakki Nithya...

Serikyum paranjal aviyal super aayitondu(The truth is that the aviyal looks super)

Thought I might add a comment in malayalam for your kerala recipe.

Nits don't waste your time, try MTV.
You have a great future and creativity.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

hi nithya,
Thank u for visiting my blog and for sweet comments :)
Aviyal is tempting, i love aviyal a lot, there will be a pillow fight btween me and brother for aviyal always!!!! Awesome Presentation !!!!

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Aviyal looks divine:)

Madhavi said...

Yummyyyyyy sambar, must try recipe!!!

priya said...

aviyal looks yummy!!...excellent presentation as usual!

Priya Suresh said...

My all time fav, beautiful clicks, feel like we landed in Kerala...

Nithu Bala said...

Hey Nithu, love this avial..I too make avial often at home..love all your pictures..you make everything so attractive and neat..thanks for joining my blog and for those lovely comments..I'm following you Dear..

Priya dharshini said...

luks tempting..i luv avial..hey nithya awesome click

Simplyfood said...

Looks easy to follow .I will try it.Lovely photo.

San!!! said...

Aviyal looks so refreshing nithya.As usual an awesome recipe with a fab click.I could imagine the dish to be so aromatic.

SE said...

wonderful !!!yummy dish !!

Perspectivemedley said...

Hi Nithya, I would like to share an award with you , Please accept it :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

lovely yaar..i like the presentation

momsnetwork said...

Avial looks lovely !!! Nice pics !!! I am gonna try this soon and will let u know how it turned out!
___________________________
Good Gynecologist in Mylapore

Revathi said...

?how about some yumm lotus leaf dishes?
i've tried some and ever since wanted to make them myself.

Popular Posts

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com
nits food clicks' items tagged with nitsclicks More of nits food clicks'
Featured on Baking is Hot
my foodgawker gallery
Foodista Drink Blog of the Day Badge