Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jack and the bean snack ;)



Field beans snack3

Once upon a time, when I was a in kinder garden mom used to narrate me the story of Jack and the beanstalk. The story fascinated me so much. Every time they purchased some bean at home, I used to ask her if it was the magical bean. :) and she used to say 'yes' and also tell me that if I eat them I would become wise, energetic, heroic and what not. :)

Whatever be the story, I just love to munch them even now. They are crunchy and tasty. :)

So here goes the interesting field beans snack that I told you earlier. :)


Field beans snack1

Ingredients:

Fresh field bean seeds(Mochai) - 1 cup
Ghee - 1 tsp
Oil - for frying
Salt - for taste
Chilly powder - for taste
Asafoetida - a pinch


Field beans snack2

Method:

Soak Field beans(Mochai/Anumulu) in luke warm water for 2 hours. Then de husk the outer skin and dry it on a clean cloth for a while in shade.

Deep fry the dried field beans until the bubbling subsides(till it gets crispy).

Now take a spoon of ghee in a pan and add chilly powder, salt and asafoetida to it. Immediately drop in the fried field beans and saute for few mins in very low flame till the spics spread evenly. Transfer to an air tight container and enjoy it for a week. :)

Note:

You can also add crushed garlic to the ghee and then add the chilly powder etc. This will give you an extra flavor to it.

If you have time and patience, pick the green colored ones alone and use them for this snack. They are tender so they become really crisp when roasted and would be really good.

Happy munching. :)


Field beans snack

Look for field beans sambhar/side dish here.

Written by: Nithya
post your queries to fourthsensesamayal@gmail.com

38 comments:

Sushma Mallya said...

i love this snack...but havent tried it at home as i didnt know how to do it...thanks for the recipe nithya..looks crispy too..

Unknown said...

Looks crispy, can we not microwave it to avoid deep frying? Havent tasted this....but am sure wud taste gud!

Nithya said...

Thanks for the comments. :)

Sharmilee: I am really not sure abt using microwave, I'm actually bad at it. But I promise it does not absorb much oil and its really not oily to touch too. So guess it should not affect your diet plans. :)

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi
Very tempting Beans for my cup of coffee and a good book to sit with.

chef and her kitchen said...

we add some tiny fried dumplings(small murukku kind) to this along with fried ground nuts.I am actually not a fan of these fried beans but I eat this just for those tiny fried thing...

Rekha shoban said...

wow!!quite interesting and new to me nithya....nice click and looks crispy!!

Sowmya said...

wow....your photography is awesome..keep it up dear...n the recipe is mouthwatering n simple:)

kitchen queen said...

nice crispy snack to have with tea.

kamala said...

lovely snack new to me will give a try

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

This is my favourite and nice to see this in your blog

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

new recipe.perfect for eve snack with tea.
AWESOME CLICK.

Rachana said...

Yummy Snack...thanks for sharing the recipe:)

Tina said...

Perfect snack..Looks so crispy and cute...

Finla said...

I wish i could grab that jack , oh i will bethen sitting and munching on tose delicous snack.

Parita said...

wow delicious and crispy snack

Nadji said...

I like this recipe. It looks so delicious.
See soon

Renuka Bedre - Rao said...

real tasty snack!! Gr8 entry!!
Renuka
http://cookingyummy.blogspot.com/

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow nithi thats all time fav for us..looks so yumm and tempting. Have you sent parcel for us ?

Anu Nandu said...

Looks absolutely tempting...what a simple yet great snack! I love your story about Jack and the bean stalk - you did turn out this great because of eating all those little beans!

Gita Jaishankar said...

This deep fried bean is new to me...looks super crunchy and delicious :)

Shri said...

First off, Nithya,I love the title!!Second off the pics are stunning..Love that snack!!I have never heard of them before..prbly shud go hunting now..Do you get in the grocery stores and if yes, under what name?

Anonymous said...

goodone.

PJ said...

wow, they sure look delicious and a perfect snack! Love your writeup too :)

Unknown said...

Loved u'r recipe title..Awesome shot!!U take pics like a pro..

Cynthia said...

Can I soak dried field beans and once hydrated, make this?

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Crispy snack to munch any time..excellent click:)

Nithya said...

Thanks a lot guys. :)

Cynthia: Guess the dried ones will not help much. Mom says it would be hard and will not turn out to be crispy :( sorry buddy. But may be you should really experiment with a very little quantity. Let me know the result if you get to do it. :)

Shri: Its a very traditional snack and its hard to find it in stores outside. :) but you can always make it. its simple na. :)

nirupamasundar said...

nithu,lovely pics, lovely photographs, going for any course on photography?

Rohini said...

Hmmm... No wonder you ate those beans diligently that you are now wise n heroic!! :D
Yummy cripy snack!!

Sum Raj said...

looks crispy and tempting..

Sowmya said...

Hi dearie, An Award Awaits U..check out my blog..please accept it!have fun.

Manju said...

what a great evening snack..a little guilt free too, i suppose ;)

Rachel said...

Great story about your mother and you. GUess I should start using it with my daughter as well :)

FoodLovers said...

Looks really Crispy nithya ...
one again yet another beautiful shot

JishasKitchen said...

wow..crispy...and nice photo

Spice said...

Lovely snack....new to me

Priya Suresh said...

Very new fries, looks incredible..

Nithu Bala said...

Wow! Like this way of making this bean..I'v another recipe at my blog..when you get time do see it..great Click:-)

Popular Posts

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com
nits food clicks' items tagged with nitsclicks More of nits food clicks'
Featured on Baking is Hot
my foodgawker gallery
Foodista Drink Blog of the Day Badge