Sunday, December 13, 2009

Pigeon Pea (Toor dhall bean) Sundal



Pigeon pea Sundal


Legumes are one of the most nutritious ingredients that we can add to a normal dish to make it an extra healthy dish. :)

The choice of legumes make me feel really excited about it. Every time I visit the market, there is some new legume that I can experiment with. :)

This time its the pigeon pea also called the toor dhall bean that caught my attention. I just loved the cute red dotted combined with a bright green color of the pea. :)


Pigeon pea


Ingredients:


Pigeon pea(Thuvar dhall bean) - 1 cup
Coconut - 1 tbl sp

Onion - 1

Garlic - 2 pods

Ginger - 1/2 inch piece

Green chillies - 2

Turmeric powder - a pinch

Asafoetida - a pinch

Lemon - 1 tsp

Salt - for taste

Coriander leaves

Curry leaves



Pigeon pea Sundal2


Method:


Cook the pigeon pea. Grind coconut, onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies, turmeric, asafoetida and salt together and keep it aside. Take a spoon of oil in a pan and season mustard and curry leaves. Now add the ground paste and fry for few min till the raw smell leaves. Once done add the cooked pea along with lemon extract and saute well. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Pigeon pea sundal is ready to eat :)

Serve it hot. You can have it just like that or with curd rice.



Pigeon pea Sundal1

I am sending this to the lovely event "My legume love affair" By Srivalli which originated in Susane's blog.


I am also sending my Disaster Halwa as an entry to a very cute event called "Kitchen Mishaps" conducted by Malar Gandhi in her very interesting blog Kitchen Tantra.




Written by: Nithya
post your queries to fourthsensesamayal@gmail.com


40 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Pigeon peas seen them long back...Sundal sounds interesting and very delicious..

Faiza Ali said...

Yummy and healthy sundal...perfect for the event.

Menaga Sathia said...

சுண்டல் ரொம்ப நல்லாயிருக்கு..

priya said...

looks yummy and delicious, dear!!...must try this!...very nice presentation, as usual!

Raks said...

The click of the pigeon pea is outstanding and recipe sounds great too!

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

As usual delicious looking recipe

Latha said...

Sundal sounds interesting....lovely clicks as always.

Tina said...

Sundal sounds yummyyyyyy and delicious...

Gita Jaishankar said...

Very different sundal Nithya...I love the array of spices you have used for seasonning...I have to try this soon :)

Sailaja Damodaran said...

love the ground masala....looks very tempting

suvaiyaana suvai said...

Pigeon peas Yummy and healthy

Shri said...

It looks delicious, Nithya!

Vineetha Sush said...

looks yummy !

SE said...

perfect...lucky..you got some fresh toor dal..

Unknown said...

Delicious sundal, beautiful photos.

Unknown said...

Sundal looks delicious.

Uma said...

hmm. this looks interesting and tempting :)

kitchen queen said...

lovely sundal very tempting and could u please explain to me what is pigeon peas?

Unknown said...

Have never cooked with pigeon peas. Looks delicious.

prasu said...

lovely pica and delicious post dear..........

Simi Tresa Antony said...

Joy Of Cooking Forums is a discussion forum for food bloggers
to Announce/Share various Food Events,Awards,Achievements,
Website updates/changes,Domain changes,New website/venture launch and much more.

Please Join My Forum
http://cooking.diggwebb.com/

Tresa Augustine
Owner Of http://www.4yourtastebuds.com/
(I have provided a direct link to forums
from my site too.)

Priya said...

Awesome recipe...:)

Rekha shoban said...

nice presentation...healthy dish

Dolly Sharma said...

Admiring your beautiful Click of the pigeon Peas. They must be so happy you have made them look so glamorous. Never made sundal before. Sounds yummy and so healthy. Also ur disaster halwa looks kinda cute too..What kind is it.

Sushma Mallya said...

Very nice recipe with pigeon pea..looks so good and healthy too

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Yummy and delicious sundal.

nirupamasundar said...

nithya, you can make lovely rasam with this thuvarai, just substitute them for our normal thuvaram paruppu in the ususal paruppu rasam, but no garlic since it has a distint flavour. u can also make rasam with mochai paruppu, try , ur family will get addicted to it

Abhilash Pillai said...

I think google is not giving me your latest blog updates. I got them late :(

I have seen this dish being prepared by my neighbors.

Malar Gandhi said...

Thanks for the intro' dear. I appreciate it.

Wish I get this fresh 'thuvar dhall' here!!! I like the idea of sundal...very healthy one'.

Unknown said...

haven't seen pigeon peas in here. we only grow green peas. looks yummy and healthy.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Mmmmm I love it nithi... looks yumm. That really healthy too.

my kitchen said...

Pigeon pea & channa good combo, Healthy one

Ambika said...

Hey Nithya, how've you been, long time huh?? The sundal looks delish...do you get these in the USA? I have never seen them here. Back home we used to get plenty of these in Hyderabad, mom used to boil them with a little salt and done. It used to be our evening snack, all of us used to sit in the garden with a big bowl of boiled peas(with the pod). So peel and gobble it up! See don't blame me for this long comment, you have made me nostalgic!

Usha said...

Looks yum !

Parita said...

We always boil these in salty water..try sometime..it taste yummm :)

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Great recipe!!!

Vidhya said...

yummy sundal Nithya.

Anu said...

Sundal sounds interesting and very delicious...

Anupama said...

How I wish I can get those fresh pigeon peas here in the US!!! Great sundal Niths!

Srivalli said...

Thank you for the entry! picture looks great..

Popular Posts

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com
nits food clicks' items tagged with nitsclicks More of nits food clicks'
Featured on Baking is Hot
my foodgawker gallery
Foodista Drink Blog of the Day Badge