Thursday, July 9, 2009

Disaster Halwa !! :)



Wondering what this could be!!!! :)

Sometimes all of us would have come across such experiences of planning to make something and ending up with something else totally different. Yeah this is one such incident....no no.. Accident :( But its okay, its all in the game :)

Guess what????????? I am sure you would laugh at my fumble in making a wish(dish) come true.

I planned to make Irish Potato Candy with Peanut Butter!!! :)

It sounded so new and yummy at first sight. Not just that but also sounded so simple. So started my fresher try on it by boiling the potatoes and smashing it without one lump left out. Until then it was all absolutely perfect. I was suppose to add vanilla essence and icing sugar to it until it gets to playing clay consistency.

There started the twist in the tale... :( Just the moment I added sugar to it the potato started loosening and this was pretty much expected as I saw a warning in the recipe. Fine, made my heart hard and added more and more and more and MORE of sugar................ Oooooopsssss!!!!!!!!#$%@^%^$#@^%@^ IT NEVER HARDENED, never came to that consistency that I was expecting even after adding 500 gms of sugar for two small pot
atoes... :( That is it... had to give up the idea of adding more to it cause I was short of icing sugar and it was already tasting toooooooo sweet.

Okay never mind.. what do I do with the loosened potato sugar!!!!! Blink Blink Blink was my expression.. Then I could see a bulb glowing on my head.. Yeah!!!! IDEA!!

Added some all purpose flour(Maida) to it to make it thick and made up my mind that this would not change the taste of it much. But.. but.. A big Villan again came into the scene. I added one cup of flour to it but it was still not getting to the right form.. and it was already tasting so raw and felt that was a bad bulb glowing on my head. so switched off that bulb. :(

Now whats next.. cant afford to waste it all. So Blink blink blink again.. A tube light was glowing on my head this time. :)

Added a pinch of baking soda to it and thought I would bake it into a Potato Cake. I was so excited to see it raise well. Hmmm it was indeed a bad day.. It still dint work out. After a long time in the oven my dear potato flour was still sticky and gummy.. :( OMG that was a bad tube light too. Switched it off.

Oh come on, I hate wasting things. What to do I do with this sticky substance. :( Blink Blink Blink again. This time it was a very big chandelier glowing on my head.. okay relax it was a chandelier transferred from my mom's head to mine. ;)

Transferred this sticky contents to a pan, added some milk and ghee to it and cooked it for a while. Now this was named as HALWA!!!!!

Now tell me, was I not right naming it disaster halwa. But I seriously bet on one thing. I would have never made a potato halwa this tasty if I had not tried all this. :))))))

Started Irish, went on to Western but finally landed Asia... True Asian you see.. :) :) :)

If someone could really track the recipe from my story, do try it out and enjoy the disaster halwa. :) :) :)

HAPPY EXPERIMENTING :) :)



Note: Can someone who has hands on experience in making Irish potato candy throw some light on it and let me know where I really went wrong???? Help Help Help ;)

Written by: Nithya
post your queries to fourthsensesamayal@gmail.com

35 comments:

Ann said...

Oh Dear! I'm just laughing out loud!! :)) :)) Bad bulb to Bad tube light then to Chandelier :)heh! heh! You had a adventurous day today. I dont dare to follow this recipe intentionally but If atall my bulb burns bad! I would consider this :)

Parita said...

Oh dear sorry to hear candy didnt come out but look on the brighter side you've made sweet potato halwa and sure looks perfect! i would love to taste that right now!

kittymatti said...

hehe! bravo! good post!

Jen Kumar said...

Wow - Isn't it interesting how life takes us on new pathways we did not intend on going on!?
Thanks for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

But that happens once in a while..loved your sprit..even the disaster looks divine in white.

Sailaja Damodaran said...

good try....

Sailaja Damodaran said...

good try

Shri said...

Looks good though!You could create a recipe out of it.It could be the next choco chip cookie story, I guess-Not having nuts to make, the creative woman puts chocolate chips instead and there we have the most famous chocolate chip cookies!

Srilakshmi said...

LOL! Atleast you ended up with a good tasting Halwa, sometimes my disasters are not worth eating. Better luck next time!

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

excellnet try Nithya...liked ur attitude

Anu said...

Nice try....

Preety said...

you know i can't even count that how many times i ended up in a disaster..but as you said its all part of game

EC said...

Omg what a narration..u should have named this as innovation halwa..:-) I too have ended up many times in such situations but I dont have as much patience as you have..

Sarah Naveen said...

Thats really interesting dear!!!!
it happens to me too,but i dont continue as you did...good job!!!

vidhas said...

Hi Nithya, enjoyed reading LOL. This happens with everybody, your Halwa looks gorgeous.

Hari Chandana P said...

Woww... wonderful Nithya.. looks soo delicious.. gr8 job dear!!

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

I too have ended up many times like this. Halwa looks beautiful.

Rekha shoban said...

hi nithya, gud to c ur recipes and arts&crafts.

Indian Khana said...

As you said it's all part of game..we have do this...I personally have this kind of many stories ;) ..atleast you discover something...:)

raajis kitchen said...

hey nithya ...thanks for dropping by...thats a truly hilarious welcome for me...loved reading ur experince...

Judy said...

I have no experience with Irish potato candy so I'm afraid I can't be of help. So sorry you had all that trouble, but what persistence! You are to be commended. I would have given up.

Anonymous said...

Loved ur 'sticky halwa'...
Looks beautiful...rare color

Ammu said...

Loved the way u made this disaster halwa. Cute post.

Shabs.. said...

thats a lovely post....cudnt stop laughing...:)see, this is how inventions occur:)

Usha said...

LOL this is such a lovely and funny post ! I loved how you were so persistent and managed to avert this near disaster....

Preeti said...

good one....halwal is not at all looking disaster...

Anuradha said...

Well... This is a disaster halwa from my disaster sister. She herself is a disaster from birth... he he.. chill out... each of her innovative activities are disastrous for me.

Unknown said...

oh no any way you ended it up with yummy halwa nice post dear I enjoyed reading this disasters are a big lessons for us to make a great dish.

Kay said...

Nithya, this is the first time I am visiting your blog. Your recipes are good,but I really really enjoyed your photography and origami. As for the potato halwa... need I say anything about this post... :)) Hmm onething you may want to try is that when the westerners make mashed potato, they start with potatoes in coldwater brought to a boil gently and removing the potatoes from the water as soon as they are done. So that the potatoes don't get mushy. I am not sure, but this could help your Irish potato candy... :)

Abhilash said...

ha ha ha...

You really made a rapid victory.

This was even better than my problems as a starter in kitchen.
You can read that here.. It is similar to yours but list the disasters of me and my roommates...

http://abhilifelapazzo.blogspot.com/2009/07/our-akkidikal-in-kitchen-from-aviyal-to.html

Unknown said...

Hi Nithya,
This is such a hilarious post. Couldn't stop laughing.Ton of humour.Love all your presentation, vegetable carving skills and paper crafts.Totally in love with your blog. Would love to meet you at some point.

Unknown said...

Hello! After you boil the potatoes, keep them skinon (make some holes with a fork) and put them in a preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes (Oven should be put off after 1 minutes). This will let the excess water inside the potatoes evaporate.
You can try to make the Irish candy once more.
Cheers

Saju Sharfu said...

hi nitya, new here.
i was so eager to c wat this didadter halwas was..man u made me laugh :)
YOu have a very intersting blog.
following u.
Please drop by my blog

Nithu Bala said...

:-) Nithi, yeah at first it would become watery but as you start adding more and more of sugar, it would be fine..think, the amount of sugar you added is not enough..Just for a small potato(little bigger than a baby potato), I added about 3/4 kg..we cannot say how much sugar it would take..you should keep adding the sugar till it comes to chapathi dough consistency..hope this helps..

Kokila said...

Hi Nithya,
This is the first time Iam visiting your blog.. I was checking many of your recipes and noted several to try on.. when i came across - disaster halwa - i was curious and started reading.. ooh my.. i laughed so much and ur narrations are too good!!! loved it.. to go by, i tried a ladoo and it came out as halwa, i tried a soup yesterday and the result was kanji.. it goes on and on for me as iam a beginner.. my family members eat whatever i prepare (lucky me). Iam off to another story here.. Here i come.. really enjoyed reading ur blog and i will keep visiting yours :) Happy day to you..

Popular Posts

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com
nits food clicks' items tagged with nitsclicks More of nits food clicks'
Featured on Baking is Hot
my foodgawker gallery
Foodista Drink Blog of the Day Badge