Friday, August 21, 2009

Horse gram Soup / Rasam & an Award


Horse gram - what comes to your mind when you hear this???!!!!. :) Blink blink.. I know its the gram that is used to feed horses. When it can make horse so powerful.. wont it do good to us too. :):)

Lets get the horse power.. :) Say cheers with a cup of healthy horse gram soup today. :)


Ingredients:


Horse Gram - 1/2 cup
Garlic - 6 flakes
Big onion - 1
Salt - for taste
Curry leaves - few
Tamarind - small lemon sized
Coconut - 2 tblsp

Grind together(masala):

Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Red chillies - 4
Asafoetida - a pinch
Black gram - 1/2 tsp
Bengal gram - 1/2 tsp





Method:

Dry roast the horse gram and then pressure cook till soft and keep it aside. Now in a pan take few spoons of oil and fry the masala items for few min. Then grind them finely along with 1 1/2 tblsp of cooked horse gram and coconut.

In a pan take a spoon of oil and crackle mustard and fry along with red chillies, garlic and chopped onion. Now add the ground paste to it and fry till good smell comes from it. Add the remaining cooked horse gram, tamarind extract, jaggery and salt to it and allow it to boil for a while. Finally garnish with curry leaves.

Horse gram soup or rasam is ready to serve. :) Serve it hot with steamed rice and chips or just have it as a hot soup. Happy making. :)





Now for the award:

I should really thank my sweet blogger friends for nominating me for the award. Its absolutely nice of you to encourage me so much.

Thanks a million to Gheeth of En samayal arayil , Ammu of Ammuvin samayal kuripugal and Sushma Mallya of Authentic Food delights.

Thanks to Dhanyaa Rajeesh of Amma's adukkal for passing the cretive blogger award.



And my best buddy Parita of Parita's world has passed me the ABC tag :) Thank you dear.

So here it goes

The Rules:

1. Link the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Share the ABCs of you.
4. Tag 4 people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
5. Let the 4 tagged people know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.
6. Do not tag the same person repeatedly but try to tag different people, so that there is a big network of bloggers doing this tag.

The Tag:

1. A – Available/Single? Single

2. B – Best friend? Loads

3. C – Cake or Pie? Cake

4. D – Drink of choice? Mango Complan

5. E – Essential item you use every day? PC and Mobile

6. F – Favorite color? Aqua Blue and Red

7. G – Gummy Bears Or Worms? Gummy Bears

8. H – Hometown? Salem - Tamil Nadu

9. I – Indulgence? Many - Shakes, Candies, ice creams, chaats etc. the list goes on.

10. J – January or February? Y not March :(

11. K – Kids & their names? Ha ha, yet to get married. But have loads of names in mind.

12. L – Life is incomplete without? Love and affection

13. M – Marriage date? Not Applicable

14. N – Number of siblings? 1 elder sis

15. O – Oranges or Apples? Oranges

16. P – Phobias/Fears? Route phobia combined with darkness phobia.. I often get lost :):(

17. Q – Quote for today? Whatever happens, life has to go on (courtesy vaaranam aayiram movie)

18. R – Reason to smile? I really don't need one. I keep smiling.. :):):)

19. S – Season? Rainy season in Chennai. If at all it comes. :)

.20. T – Tag 3 People? Right here????

21. U – Unknown fact about me? Its really unknown

22. V – Vegetable you don't like? Brinjal

23. W – Worst habit? Very naughty. Not sure if it is harmful.

24. X – X-rays you've had? Too many..

25. Y – Your favorite food? Everything I make. I have no choice.

26. Z – Zodiac sign? Pisces.

I am passing this tag and awards to Vedha, Sandhya, Supri and Abhi.

Written by: Nithya
post your queries to fourthsensesamayal@gmail.com

20 comments:

Abhilash said...

Nitya... Thanks for the horse power recipe...

are baapre! a prize for me... Today my mother will be very proud of me...

aa... why didnt you come to my college and teach me... I would have receive an award at that time too...

"Chalo daer aaye durust aaye"

Sum Raj said...

thanks for dropping by...i love this so much.. i also add crushed garlich and pepper too..this gives u unique taste..

Parita said...

Hmm thats some powerful soup, no wonder you are so powerful blogger..hmmm i guess we can start a powerful blogger award..what say ?
U dont like brinjals? i love them :) hehehehe we gals..even if not married always have names in mind for our children..hehehe :)

Faiza Ali said...

It sure is a powerful soup. And congrats dear on the awards. You deserve more. Keep going!

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Congrats....I love Kollu rasam.Nice decoration..

Gita Jaishankar said...

COngrats on your awards Nithya, very healthy soup, ideal for dieting and reducing weight :)

Indian Khana said...

Congrats on your award dear...soup looks gud..let's not talk abt the name ;)

Jen Kumar said...

Nithya I love the horse design!!! How cute!

I have yet to figure out what is horsegram. What is it in different Indian languages?

Anu said...

Congrats on your award dear.. Rasam looks gud. Healthy rasam.

Mansi said...

Hey, thanks for sharing this lovely recipe..I always see Horse gram in some shops here...now I know what to make with it...thanks so much for your kind comments.

Myvegfare said...

hi nitya, nice to meet you, you have a lovely blog here!!, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a beautiful comment too...
I like horse gram, mum used to make sundal in this and used to use it is rasam & sambhar, hubby doesn't like it!!, so i use it without his knowledge, They say it produces lot of heat in the body! (ayurveda), so this is a good soup, and a must try one during the cold winter days, don's you think have book marked it.., nice horse design too.., please do come again, and me too.. will check out your posts..
thanks again

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

A nice and healthy recipe dear....Congrats on ur awards...u desrve it...

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

health recipe ma..my hubby's favorite item

Christo Gonzales said...

I need to figure out what is horse gram but until I do congratulations on the awards!

Sushma Mallya said...

soup looks healthy and nice nithya...and congraz on ur award...u deserve it...was nice reading abt u as well....and happy ganesh chaturti...

SnacksGiving said...

The soup looks nice n spicy! Nice use of horse gram.

dsdsds said...

yummy rasam... It took me soem time to figure out that you have made a horse out of the gram.. Creative

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Yummy rasam. Love the horse design. Looks cute.

Unknown said...

wow ulavacharu ummm my fav.delicious recipe yum.

Yasmeen said...

Never tried horsegram,the rasam must certainly very delish and healthy :D

Popular Posts

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com
nits food clicks' items tagged with nitsclicks More of nits food clicks'
Featured on Baking is Hot
my foodgawker gallery
Foodista Drink Blog of the Day Badge