Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Vankaya(Brinjal or Eggplant) Bajji


Do you want a dish which is sweet, sour, spicy and also has your favorite brinjal in it????

Then come on hurry up, its here all for you ;)

Fall in love with brinjal :)

Note: I really don't know why it is called as bajji!!! If you know, do tell me too.. :)


Ingredients:

Brinjal - 1 large
Onion - 2 big
Green chillies - 4

Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp

Jaggery - 2 tsp

Mustard - 1/2 tsp

Bengal gram dhal - 1/2 tsp

Urad dhall - 1/2 tsp

Salt - for taste

Curry leaves

Coriander leaves




Method:

Keep the brinjal as such in the cooker and cook it for 3 whistles. Now cut it and remove the skin and seeds and smash it finely with your hands and keep this aside. In a pan take a tsp of oil and season with mustard, bengal gram dhall and urad dhall. Add curry leaves, chilly and chopped onion to it and fry for a while till it turns to golden brown. Once done switch off the flame and pour this into the mashed brinjal. Now add tamarind paste, salt and jaggery to it and mix well. Finally garnish it with coriander leaves. Serve it with hot steamed rice. :) Happy making and enjoy eating :)



"Yepdi Irundha Nan!"


"Ipdi Aiten" :):):):)

I am sending this dish to "Fall In love - Brinjal" event hosted by Sanghi of sanghi-tastybites blog.


This event demands a dedication of the dish: So I would like to dedicate this dish to my lovable dad. This is specially because he is the one who encourages me to cook and enjoys all my disasters and yet praises me for all the efforts I take to bring it out. :) And on top of it he just loves brinjal too much. :)

Written by: Nithya
post your queries to fourthsensesamayal@gmail.com

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

vry interesting dish...nice entry for the event!

Christo Gonzales said...

beautiful dish and a beautiful presentation...

Sailaja Damodaran said...

nice entry....

Hari Chandana P said...

sounds too good.. looks soo tempting.. perfect for the event :)

Anupama said...

Very cute presentation and a different one too!!!

Mangala Bhat said...

Nice entry looks soo good ..Nice presentation as always

Ganga Sreekanth said...

interesting dish.......

Anu said...

Beautiful presentation..... Sounds too good.........

Unknown said...

what a cute dedication!!Yummy looking dish!!sure will make a nice entry to the event

Rekha shoban said...

Nice presentation nithya..its looks gr8

kittymatti said...

nice presentation and unique recipe

Varsha Vipins said...

Lol..I liked that note.."epdi iruntha naa..":D..
Gues its my first time here..nice dish n nice blog Nithya..:)

EC said...

Hahahah..love that comment-eppadi irunda....

Lovely dish

Parita said...

So sweet of you to dedicate to your dad :) my dad too eats watever i made and always says its perfect heheheh :) brinjal curry looks delicious dear

LifenSpice said...

nice dish and nice presentation too!

Gita Jaishankar said...

Wow...that looks spicy and yummy....very delicious :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hi Nithya.. Nice recipe. one of my favorites. At least in Kannada Bajji means 'crushed' or say 'pounded'. I guess that is where the title of the recipe comes from :)
Also, thanks for letting me know about the FIL event.

Doloncookbook said...

Completely new & interesting dish for me ....

dsdsds said...

its a real easy dish.. but never heard of brinjal bhajji though.. and "eppadi iruntha naan"; thats a good one!!

dsdsds said...

Sorry nits.. I was not able to leave a comment in your other blog. Those paper bags are absolutely cute. I also love the kartigai deepam kolam. All kolams looks perfect. Reflects the trained hands. I also had this probs a few days ago.. change your comment form from embedded to pop up or new form. Blogger is currently looking into this issue!!

Shri said...

I love this dish!We make this and call it Vankaya pachadi(chutney).Interestingly, my dad loves brinjal too:)

Vaishali said...

Wow, after reading the title I thought this was a deep-fried bhujiya. Although I love those too, I like this one better because it's much healthier!:)

Divya Rao said...

I love your pictures Nithya!

Parita said...

Hey Nithya, i have nominated you for Kreativ Blog award, pls visit my blog and accept it :)

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Looks lovely and yummy.

Popular Posts

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com
nits food clicks' items tagged with nitsclicks More of nits food clicks'
Featured on Baking is Hot
my foodgawker gallery
Foodista Drink Blog of the Day Badge